Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Cold Water Swimming

Yes, I've taken up a new sport - cold water swimming. No, I'm not swimming in any of the rivers that are located in NNY, but rather than the pool at Clarkson University.

I've been swimming there for about a month now and it seems the water gets colder each time that I go. When I initially dangle my feet over the side of the pool, I ask myself "why do I do this?" The water literally feels like ice and it sends chills all the way up my spine. It reminds me when I was at 4-H camp in my younger years and I would go swimming at 6 AM so that I could be part of the polar bear club; come to think about it I would ask myself the same question "why do I do this?"

I guess I do it because swimming is such a good exercise and I enjoy the invigorating feeling I experience afterwards as I sit in the hot tub and then the sauna. These (hot tub and sauna) remove any of the chill from my body and make the bone chilling experience worthwhiled. I just hope I can remember this when I go swimming when it is -30 this winter. At -30, maybe the water will feel warm to me. I'll let you know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess that you don't care for ocean swimming either!!!!
catzndogz9