Monday, November 05, 2007

My Day At Work

To the surprise of some, I do work. This may be surprising because I'm blessed with a job that allows me much flexibility and a lot of time off. I guess this comes with being at the same job for 12 years.

I am working at the transfer station today. What does one do at a transfer station? Answer: weigh vehicles as they come in and as they leave, and then receive money from the customers. The scale is interfaced with a computer and there is a computer program that computes the difference in weight, which determines the price that is charge. Of course, the operator (me) needs to enter the correct information into the program in order for the right price to be charge based on the material that the customer brings in. So far, I haven't made any mistakes.

For the most part, the computer and scale work great. I did experience one glitch this morning with my first customer. When he came to be weighed out, the computer froze up; none of you have probably ever experienced this, right? I had to reboot, which seemed to take forever. The customer was very patient as the computer went through all that it goes through to wake back up. I was finally able to get back on the system and weigh the customer out and take his money.

Well that is all from the helm of the transfer station scale house. It is not exactly like being at the helm of the Enterprise, but it will do for me.
Signed, Captain Laura.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lot of fun...ha!
Hope your day was great regardless of computer glitches.
catzndogz9