Saturday, September 13, 2008

Customer Service

I've been back in NY for almost two weeks now. I realize that I haven't posted in a while, but I have been Internet challenged since being back. The home that I'm staying at doesn't have Internet service and this means that I need to hang out at one of the local Internet Cafes. Obviously, I'm at one now since I'm posting.

For the locals, I'm at the one where ice cream is plentiful and Arby's is located across the street. I hang out here quite a bit since I can get healthy food, good coffee, and Internet all in one place. The service is a little less than desirable and there is much room for improvement. I have discussed this matter with the owner since I hang out here quite a bit. Her comment to me "it is hard to find good help." I have pondered her comment for some time now. Since I hang out here a lot, I watch the wait staff and have come to the conclusion that the staff lacks the proper customer service training.

Customer service training is an area that I have recently talked to many people about. I eat out a lot and usually the customer service is poor to fair in most of the places I dine. Now maybe I expect too much, but I think it is appropriate for wait staff to be attentive to my dining needs and treat me like a queen when they wait on me. Is this too much to expect? I think not. I manage a business and I want my customers to have the best possible experience that they can when they do business with me. Isn't this the way it is suppose to be? I sometimes wonder when I'm trying to dine and my wait staff could care less about my dining experience. I've often thought of starting a company where I could provide customer service training for businesses. I don't know if I would ever do this, but I certainly see a need both here (NY) and Texas.

Anyways, these are just some rambling thoughts going through my mind as I sit waiting for my food.

2 comments:

Selah said...

You certainly could teach them a thing or two...but remember, Laura,
you might know so much about it because you are anointed. You have something that the world doesn't. And it just so happens that one of your many giftings is kindness. Customer service would certainly improve if we just learned how to be kind wouldn't it. Your customer service to me has outranked them all. Thankyou!

Anonymous said...

Interestingly enough, the local NC THIS WEEK has been fielding many letters about the service in the North Country. Apparently it is bad...
I have seen worse (Philly was notorious!) and better (Philly was famous).
Selah is right, it has to do with that part of Christ within us that shines through to others!!!!
Michele