Monday, January 29, 2007

Acts of Kindness

I decided to stop at one of my favorite dining establishments on the way home from a friend's house last night.

I pulled my car into the parking lot and noticed that a man was laying in a snow bank with other people hovering over him. I parked my car and quickly grabbed my wool blanket that I keep in the car and placed it over the man. The man in the snow bank was large in stature and I quickly learned from the others that he had slipped and fell on some ice. One of the waitresses from the restrauant was cutting his pant leg and I surmised that she was a also a member of a rescue squad since she had an EMT bag with her. I noticed that cold snow was holding the man's head and thought that must be cold on his head. I walked back to my car, grabbed my spare work pants, and walked back to the man. I said "lift your head up and I'll place these pants under your head so that your head won't be so cold." He looked up at me and said "who are you and you're so nice to care." His eyes told me how shocked he was that a total stranger would care enough to make sure that he was warm as he laid there. The ambulance came and off to the hospital he went.

In situations like I found myself in last night, I often ask "how would I like to be treated if I were in the same situation and what would Jesus have me do?" This question always leads me to show acts of kindness and help someone in need if I have the means to. After all, isn't this what Jesus did when he walked the earth and wouldn't He want me to do the same?

No comments: