Monday, January 22, 2007

Close Calls

I spend about 50% of my time traveling the highways of the north country in my Toyota Prius. My defensive driving classes have taught me to always expect the unexpected to happen when driving. I'm glad that I had this knowledge this morning.
I was traveling back from the transfer station to my main office. I was about to go around a curve in the road when something caught my eye. On the bend of the road, there was a truck pulling a trailer and another car pulled over on the opposite shoulder of the road. My initial thoughts "strange place to be pulled over, they are not completely off the road, I better slow down." I began applying gentle pressure on my brakes when all of sudden I saw another vehicle passing them in my lane. It was an tractor-trailer heading straight for me. I quickly applied more pressure on my brakes and began to map out my escape route to avoid a head-on collision. After a few seconds, I determined that the tractor-trailer would get by me without hitting me and it did; sigh of relief!!

I'd be lying to say that I didn't have a few thoughts like "this is it for me, good bye world, and hello Jesus." I'm so thankful that it didn't turn out this way, but it brought me comfort knowing where I'm going to spend eternity when my time does come to depart this world. How do I know? I have a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ His son. The Bible promises me that I'll spend eternity in heaven because of my faith in Jesus.

I thank God everyday for giving me Jesus so that I can spend eternity with Him in heaven. Jesus you're the best gift that I've ever received and I look forward to seeing You one day in heaven.


No comments: