Friday, January 25, 2008

Community of Akwesasne Cares

Last weekend one of the Tribal employees lost everything that she owned in a fire.

I was unaware of this until I called the main Tribal Office building on Tuesday. I made the call since I needed to talk to my accountant that handles the budgets for my projects. While I was on the phone with her, I heard all this talking in the background. I asked her what all the "buzz" was. She then proceeded to share with me that my Supervisor's sister lost everything in a fire and that the ladies in the community were talking about ways to help her. I thought how great that people were going to help her.

Two days later I get an announcement from the Tribe's Public Information Office that a shower has been arranged for the person and she is registered at Wal Mart. We are encouraged to go buy a gift for her and come to the shower. I've never heard of having a shower for victim of a fire, but I thought what a great idea.

The reaching out of the community to help one their members is an indication of a cultural tradition that runs deep with the Akwesasne community. It is a tradition that many people outside of the community aren't aware of. What is this cultural tradition? It is one that places a high value on family and helping those in need.

I've been working for the Tribe for 14 years and this is one of the reasons why I like my job so much. Mohawks are caring people and will come to help when someone is in need with no regard for the cost or time. I've witnessed this numerous times during my time in the community. Several examples come to mind: Mohawk Iron Workers helping with the rescue at the Twin Towers; Tribal Council providing funding to special cleanup projects that are needed; providing assistance to the elderly; etc. etc. I could list others, but I think my point is clear in that Mohawk people care.

I honor the community of Akwesasne for holding on to the cultural tradition that places a high value on family and helping those in need. I hope they never lose it and pass this tradition on to their younger generation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know what? That is an awesome idea. How wonderful for that woman to receive not just hand me downs but new stuff as well!!!
God bless those people!
Michele