Sunday, December 24, 2006

Christmas Presents

As a small child, I would always hurry to the tree on Christmas morning with excitement. I was truly amazed to find the number of presents that were under the tree for me. Over time, I lost the true meaning of Christmas since I thought it was all about the number of presents that I would get.

God brought back the true meaning of Christmas to me a few years ago. I was in San Diego visiting my brother, Wayne, during the month of December. Wayne and I went to his office one day. It was a long car ride and I made a visit to the ladies room when we arrived. As I was washing my hands, I noticed a Red Cross poster that had the following words printed on it: "What to Give? Give the gift of life. Give Blood." I stood there motionless as I read the words. The Lord began to show me the true meaning of Christmas.

Christmas is time for giving. It is nice to receive material gifts, but Jesus gave more than this; He gave His blood so that I may the gift of life and life more abundantly here on earth and in heaven. He did this out of His abundant love for me. This is the greatest Christmas present that I could receive.

I sometimes ask myself "What to give?" I now know to give the gift of life - give love. This is the greatest gift that I can give anyone during the Christmas season.

2 comments:

www.jean-e-oathout.blogspot.com said...

You are right, and I believe you've been faithful to do it, my friend. May we learn new ways to give His Love away.

Anonymous said...

That is, I believe, our true purpose on earth---to demonstrate the love of Jesus Christ and allow others to see HIM through us. catzndogz9