Thursday, December 28, 2006

Sledding

After work yesterday, I made a trip to Malone, NY to visit good friends. My friends had emailed me earlier in the day and asked if I was interested in going sledding with their family. I said sure.

I was amazed to see that there was about 3 inches of snow on the ground in Malone since the rest of the north country that I traveled through all day had no snow. My friends shared that Malone always get snow.

We loaded the sleds into my car and the rest of my friend's family piled into her car. After making a side trip to drop off the neck strap to her daughter's saxaphone, we made our way to the sledding hills. I surveyed the two hills and decided to go down the smaller of the two. My first trip down found me rolling over sideways and getting lots of snow in my face. Somewhere from deep within my memory banks, I was beginning to remember what and what not to do when sledding; I recall rolling sideways can be prevented if I positioned myself right on the sled to begin with - it is just a matter of physics. My second trip down was perfect. Feeling the confidence build, I decided to walk up the big hill and make my first trip down the big one. I must admit I had second thoughts when I got to the top of the hill. I was amazed at how small my friends looked at the bottom of the hill. My friends encouraged me to launch ... so I did. What a blast!! I ended up going down the big hill about 8 times. It was great fun!

Our sledding outing ended with all of us throwing the light snow at each other; it sure did feel good going down the back of my neck.

If you're looking for some winter time fun, go to Malone since they have snow when no place else does.

1 comment:

www.jean-e-oathout.blogspot.com said...

It sure brings back memories of childhood! I know it is great fun! I doubt that I should do it now, but I can see you having fun doing it!