Sunday, July 16, 2006

A Day With My Best Friend

Early last week I decided that I would drive to Old Forge to purchase a kayak. I didn't want to go alone and began to think about who I could invite. I thought "I'll ask my best friend to go and spend the whole day with me." I was fortunate that my best friend didn't have anything scheduled and would love to go.

My best friend met me as I woke up on Saturday morning. We had breakfast and coffee together; it was the beginning of a great day!

We then went to a meeting at 9am. During the meeting, my best friend began to show me that there are some things in my life that are hindering our relationship. I may not have liked what I was hearing, but I knew the things that were shared were true. My best friend was gentle in sharing and I truly felt loved during the whole time. I'm so thankful for this.

At 10am, my best friend and I hopped in the car and we began the journey to Old Forge. "Oops" , I said to my best friend, "did I tell you that I was going to Watertown first?" My best friend didn't mind and said lets go. We were on our way.

As I drove, I pondered what my best friend shared with me about our relationship. Tears began to roll down my face and I could feel the volcanic eruption beginning inside of me. I pulled the car over and the weeping began. As I weeped, my best friend held and comforted me. My best friend began to speak to me through the lyrics of the following song that was playing on my CD player:

Who am I, that the Lord of all the earth
Would care to know my name
Would care to feel my hurt
Who am I, that the Bright and Morning Star
Would choose to light the way
For my ever wandering heart

Not because of who I am
But because of what You've done
Not because of what I've done
But because of who You're
Chorus:
I am a flower quickly fading
Here today and gone tomorrow
A wave tossed in the ocean
A vapor in the wind
Still You hear me when I'm calling
Lord, You catch me when I'm falling
And You've told me who I am
I am Yours, I am Yours

Who Am I, that the eyes that see my sin
Would look on me with love and watch me rise again
Who Am I, that the voice that calmed the sea
Would call out through the rain
And calm the storm in me
I am Yours

Whom shall I fear
Whom shall I fear
'Cause I am Yours
I am Yours

Written by Mark Hal
Music by Casting Crowns
Song based on Psalms 52 and 139 and Ephesians 2
© 2003 Club Zoo Music / SWEC Music
(Admin. by Club Zoo Music) / BMI.
All rights reserved. Used by permission.

My best friend: cares to feel my hurt; hears me when I call; catches me when I fall; looks at me with love in spite of my sin; and calms the storm that rages inside of me. The journey continued after all the weeping was over.

During the rest of the trip, my best friend kept showing me how loved and accepted I am. I didn't have to worry about being perfect; I just needed to be who I am - a child of God.

We arrived home around 10:20 pm when my best friend said to me "Go to bed, Laura. I'll stay with you through the night and be here in the morning when you awake."

You have probably gathered that my best friend is Jesus. I am so blessed to have Him as my best friend and I look forward to spending many more days with Him.

1 comment:

thisrequiresthought said...

amazing. He's your best friend, and still has time to be mine, too.

what a mighty God we serve!