Sunday, November 26, 2006

Ocean Fishing

I got to experience my first ocean fishing adventure today. It was all that I could imagine and then some.

We arrived dockside around 6 AM. First order of business was to pay for the trip, get fishing licenses, and rental tackle. We then boarded the boat and were on our way to Catalinia Island. After about 2 hours, we arrived and fishing lines were in the water.

I dropped my line in and immediately I had a fish on. It was a mackeral and the deck hand informed me to throw it back since it wasn't good for eating. My two nieces, Whitney & Nicole, got their instructions from the deckhand and dropped their lines. Within in minutes they both got fish called bonitas. The deckhand let us all know that bonitas were good for eating and that we could keep them. My brother and I kept on catching mackerals while the girls kept reeling in the bonitas. I finally caught a bonita after about 2 hours of fishing. Wayne also began catching bonitas and we were all pleased with our catch. Later in the day I caught a couple of calico bass that I kept.

All in all, we had a great day on the ocean. We caught most of our limits for bonitas. The deckhands cleaned them for us and we had some for dinner. They were yummy.


Here are some pictures of our day.

Whitney & Nicole



Where we spent the day - aboard Daveys Locker


Calico Bass



Wayne waitng for a bite, above. A bonita, below.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Catalina Island was our honeymoon destination 32 years ago. We were there this past August for the first time since. It was just as beautiful and the water just as clearly blue as before. Congratulations on your fishing success. How'd you like the sharp rows of teeth of the bonita?
Susan

Darlene Sinclair said...

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. So happy for you to be spending time with neices and brothers and sister-in-law and all. Enjoy!