Thursday, November 30, 2006

Cockroach Patrol

I flew the red eye flight from LA to Chicago on Monday night. The flight departed LA at 11:10 PM (PST) and arrived 3 hours later in Chicago. I slept the whole flight. The only thing that woke me up was the announcement from the pilot that we were 40 miles from the airport and that we would be landing in 15 minutes. I was truly amazed since it seemed like we had just departed LA.

Not much was happening at Chicago O'Hara airport at 4:30 AM. There were a few shops and restaurants open. It was not the hustle and bustle of activity that I was accustomed to, but I did have an interesting experience while I was waiting to board my plane for Syracuse.

My carry on bag was between my feet and I was using it as a table to hold my Bible. I was leaning over reading my Bible when I saw something dash out from under my chair. It was an ugly bug and it was making its way towards my carry on bag. I lifted the bag and bug ran right by it. I'm so thankful that I saw the bug since it turned out to be a cockroach. It made its way to the seats that were across from me. There was a gentleman sitting on the end seat across from me. I kept a watchful eye on the cockroach to see where he would make his next move. Sure enough, he turned 90 degrees and started making his way towards the gentleman. I soon realized that the cockroach had every intention of climbing up the man's pant leg. You say, "how did I know this?" Answer: when the cockroach climbed on the man's shoe and seemed very interested in the bottom of his pant. I calmly said to the gentleman "Excuse me, sir, there is a bug on your shoe and you will want to get him off from you." The young lad looked up at me in a daze and said "what". I repeated myself and then he looked down at his feet. Horror filled his face when he saw the massive cockroach about ready to make his way up his leg. The man yelled "get him off from me!!" and began shaking his foot. The cockroach did fall off from him and ran to the other side of the airport. Another gentleman standing on there saw the cockroach and ran over and stepped on him.

The gentleman that was sitting across from me couldn't thank me enough for letting him know about the bug on his foot. He was relieved once he shook it off.

Lesson learned from this experience: be on cockroach patrol when you travel since you never know where one will appear.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Laura, the cockroach just wanted to go to your trash-pile on the reservation and find a nice cozy spot. It is kind of funny- being a farm boy from Northern NY, I did not see a roach until I was 19. Guess where I first saw one? Chicago.

Wayne

www.jean-e-oathout.blogspot.com said...

I saw plenty of them in Puerto Rico! I found a dead one in a shoe, one time! Ugh! I do have other more pleasant memories,though.Temperatures no lower than 68, and not above 72. That was nice.