Sunday, June 08, 2008

Father and Fishing

I celebrated Father's Day with my dad this weekend - I know you're probably thinking "Laura, Father's Day is next weekend." Indeed it is, but I won't be able to be with dad next weekend since I will be out of town.

I traveled to the Thousand Islands area Friday night and we went to dinner at Bonnie Castle's Crystal Dining room. This is a large dining area that is glassed in offering breathtaking views of Boldt Castle and the St. Lawrence River. The dining experience was the best: great views, soft piano music played by Austin, food absolutely delicious (Sue-carrot cake passed the father's test), and conversation never ending. We topped the night off by scrolling out in front of Bonnie Castle along the shores of the St. Lawrence taking in more of the beautiful views.

When we returned to dad's place, I gave him a picture tour of my life for the last month with the photos that I had taken of my move, the pink house, and our last WIM meeting at CFC. He truly enjoyed it. We both went to bed early because we had an important trip scheduled for the next morning - fishing.

Fishing, yes I love to fish. I grew up on the river fishing since my dad is a Thousand Island's fishing guide. I think I had a fishing pole in my hand before I could walk. Some of my fondest memories are of our times on the river fishing, swimming, water skiing, etc. etc. I go fishing with dad every chance that I can. I can't beat spending hours on the water enjoying my dad's company and taking in the peace that comes from just being on the water. It doesn't really matter if we don't catch anything, but we did catch lots of perch yesterday, just being together and enjoying the time is enough for me.

We got back to shore and dad cleaned the catch of the day. I stood by watching and taking in all that he was doing, just like I used to when I was a kid. The afternoon ended by us having lunch together and then I was off to my next adventure: dinner with friends on the shores of the Grasse River.

Before leaving my dad, I gave him a Father's Day card and a plaque. The card had a picture of a trout on it and the plaque was titled "The Ten Commandments of Fishing." He proudly hung the plaque in his fishing room where all his other fishing memorabilia is located.

Thanks dad for a wonderful time. I love you and can't wait for our next outing. Happy Father's Day.

1 comment:

thisrequiresthought said...

I hope you didn't give your dad a "plague." how unthoughtful of you!!!!

I think you meant a "plaque".

you crack me up!!