Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Free to Express Praises

I had hopes that the rain would stop and blue skies would appear. Why? I needed to wet my kayak and paddle the river that is now my next door neighbor. So when the blue skies peaked through, I got my boat, paddle, life jacket, and headed for the water.



I began to paddle my way to one of my favorite spots when I noticed something different. What were those beautiful sounds that I was hearing? It was the sounds of chirping birds. They were everywhere and it sounded like they were singing praises to the Lord. I don't know much about birds, but these sounded like a well practiced choir. The sounds followed me as I continued to paddle up river.



I began to think about the sounds and how the birds seemed to freely express their chirps. They were free to sing as they pleased. Isn't this how God desires us to worship Him - to freely express our praises to Him as we seem fit to do so? I'm reminded of David even as I write this. David was free to worship the Lord and praised Him with singing, dancing, and playing instruments. David didn't care who was around or watching him. He freely praised the Lord with his whole heart.

As I paddled back to shore, I found myself chirping my own praises as an expression of my love to my Father in heaven. It was wonderful to be free as the birds to sing my own praises to the Lord.

No comments: