Saturday, December 22, 2007

Because He Loves Me

And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger. (Luke 2:8-12)

As I reflect about the birth of Jesus this Christmas Season, I realize more and more of His love for me. Yes, Jesus was born because God so loved me that He sent Jesus so that I may not parish and have eternal life with God (John 3:16). Spending eternity with God is something that will occur when I die. But, what about now...here and now as I walk through the journey of my life? There must be more about the birth of Jesus than just spending eternity with God after I die.

Isaiah 61 describes the year of the Lord's favor. Throughout this chapter, I read about an exchange process that God wants me to experience: instead of ashes..bestow a crown of beauty; instead of mourning... give me the oil of gladness; instead of a spirit of despair..give me a garment of praise; instead of shame..give me a double portion; instead of disgrace...give me my inheritance so that I will inherit a double portion and everlasting joy will be mine.
God has taken me through many trials and tribulations this year. Through it all, I have come to realize and experience more of God's love for me. I also recognize that God took me through these experiences because He loves me too much to have allowed me to remain captive to the prison chains that bound me. In some cases, I didn't even know that I was being held captive, but God in His ever gentle way, revealed truth to me and I was set free (John 8:32). I experienced God's exchange process as described in Isaiah 61.
This Christmas season I will not only celebrate the birth of Jesus as it relates to my eternal destiny, but also as it relates to my journey in my life. Thank you Lord for loving me so much that I can experience the very riches of You on this side of heaven.

2 comments:

thisrequiresthought said...

amen! And have a good trip to CA.

thank you for your contribution to our Christmas dinner. Too bad you won't be here to share it with us!
The Smiths will join us, and together we will be grateful for your generosity.

Merry Christmas, my friend!

Anonymous said...

Amen to freedom! God has a wonderful and terrifying way of loosing the chains that bind when our eyes are closed worshiping Him!!!Its all about surrender....
Amen!!!
Michele