Monday, April 24, 2006

Homework Assignment: Read The Phantom Tollbooth

My sister emailed me last week to ask if I would help my niece, Sara, with a class project. The assignment: get a copy of the book "The Phantom Tollbooth", read it, and answers questions that Sara will email me.

I went to the public library and got the book on Friday. As I read the first chapter, I realized that this was not the type of reading that I'm used to since I read mainly non-fiction material. I also noticed that there were some words in the book that I didn't recognized: Dictionopolis, effusive, beguiling, monotonous - I think these would be good words for my friend Nancy to use in her next game of scrabble.

I'm only in the second chapter and am enjoying the story of Milo traveling in a strange land and I'm anxious to see what adventures he finds.

Sara just started reading the book today. I haven't received any questions from her as of yet, but I'll keep you all posted.

1 comment:

thisrequiresthought said...

this is one of Paul Brown's and Lore Ferguson's all-time favorite books.

ps I know all those words, but the first one isn't a real word. (Not for a Scrabble game!!)