Friday, April 14, 2006

Living In A Garbage Dump

I was watching Life Today yesterday morning. The special guest was Joyce Meyer. Joyce was talking about her new book entitled "Look Great Feel Great." The book presents 12 keys to gaining and maintaining a healthy body, soul, and spirit. After Joyce was finished speaking, the program switched to showing a situation in Cambodia that moved me to tears.

There are children and families living on top of a garbage dump. The majority of the children are orphans. I saw pictures of several children with nothing on their feet walking in the garbage and picking through it for food or anything else that they could recover for their homes. One older lady sells the food that her grandchildren finds in the dump to other people living on the edges of the dump. I saw people living in tents that they had made from materials from the dump. In one picture, there was a bull dozer moving garbage around; this tells me that this is an active garbage dump and that fresh garbage is brought in daily.

Since I work in the garbage business, I know that the stench gags you at times and the maggots can get large enough that you think they would carry you away; the realization that the maggots would be crawling on the children broke my heart. I also know that the spread of disease must be so widespread amongst the people living on top of the garbage dump.

I was so moved by the clip that I made a donation to Life Today for their outreach efforts in Cambodia. If you are moved to do the same, please see the following link http://www.lifetoday.org/site/PageServer?pagename=out_cambodia.

No comments: