Thursday, June 15, 2006

Dining in Arlington, Va

This was a post that I wrote yesterday, but couldn't publish because of internet problems at the hotel in DC. I hope you enjoy reading about our dining adventure.


After working on my proposal all day, I was ready to eat some fine food. After discussing what would satisfy our taste-buds, we decided on Thai food. A Google search revealed that there was a Thai restaurant 5 miles from the hotel. A call to the restaurant showed that we didn’t need reservations and there was a parking lot – important thing to know when you trying to dine in a large city. We printed directions from Google and headed to the company Hybrid.

We got onto Crystal Drive as we departed the hotel parking garage. We found the next street that the directions indicated we needed to be on. As we continued on, we both began to realize that the next street to turn on was no where to be found. We had to make a snap decision and turned onto a road that we thought was the one that would lead us to the Thai restaurant. We quickly realized that it was the wrong road since we were on I-395 headed across a bridge in DC; this is the opposite direction that we needed to go. We could do nothing, but enjoy the rush hour traffic, which was moving slow, and the scenery along the way. After about 15 minutes of crossing the Potomac River, we finally found an exit to get off I-395. We were able to get off and get back on I-395 south headed back to Arlington, Va. A quick geography lesson: the Potomac River separates DC from Arlington, Va. We eventually found our way back to the hotel, parked the car, and walked to a nearby Thai restaurant.

We both laughed about our little driving adventure and made the best of it as we entered the Thai restaurant. The menu looked great and the prices were very reasonable. We both ordered and within minutes our food arrived at our table; for those of you who know Nancy she did take pictures of the food…so check her blog out since she’ll probably post them when she gets home. As we both were admiring our food, Nancy offered me a taste from her plate. I grabbed my fork and put some in my mouth. My mouth quickly let me know that Nancy’s dish was spicy; this was evident since my mouth felt like it was on fire. I don’t like spicy food. Nancy quickly informed me that her dish was spicy enough to “wake up my insides.” I certainly felt like my insides were being waked up to something that it didn’t like. I soon recovered though and enjoyed my chicken, broccoli, and noodle dish.

We did have an enjoyable dining experience out even though we didn’t end up going to the original Thai restaurant that we had plan on. Sometimes we have to make the best of it even when our plans don't work out the way we intended them to.

No comments: