Thursday, June 22, 2006

Busy Days

This week has been filled with a whirlwind of activities.

Yesterday I spent the day driving to three destinations and touring interesting sites: (1) Biomass burning facility in Lyonsdale, NY; (2) Willow biomass farm in Belleville, NY; and (3) Anaerobic digester farm in Belleville, NY. Can you guess what these three places have in common and why I would want to visit them?

These interesting field trips are part of the Fuel For the Future conference that I'm attending at Clarkson for the remainder of the week. The conference is looking at technologies for using alternative fuel supplies for creating energy. Using waste cooking oil to create biodiesel is the technology that I'm most interested in. This is a technology that I've been researching for the past year. Biodiesel can replace the diesel fuel used to run our garbage trucks. Advantages of biodiesel include it burns cleaner and is cheaper than diesel fuel. I worked on a proposal with Clarkson last week. If funded, the grant would provide money to build a biodiesel production system on the reservation. Sounds fun.

In my travels yesterday, I passed the new wind farm that is located near Lowville, NY. The wind farm has hundreds of newly installed winds mills that create enough energy to supply all the houses in Lewis County. I didn't mind the appearance of the gigantic wind mills (Nancy - this is my kind of museum). I actually thought that they added some unique beauty to the skyline. I would highly recommend to drive by them if you are traveling in that area. They are located on Route 177. Route 177 runs between Rt. 81 (Adams Center Exit) and Lowville, NY. The wind farm is located near the section of the road near Lowville, NY.

2 comments:

thisrequiresthought said...

we saw hundreds of wind farms when traveling in Spain. They also have the old-fashioned-type there: windmills.

Hey: Brent Buchanan is lecturing at this Clarkson thing. You'll probably see him there!

ByHIsGrace said...

I have continually been encouraged by how you are used in the "trash field" and the environment is a better place for having your continued steadfastness in such a way. The joyful part, and I truly do enjoy, is the learning I receive. Now that I have found trashtidbits, I look forward to more information that effects our environment.
Today learning that cooking oil can be used for biofuel for your garbage trucks amazes me. I think to myself, how can this be, simply because I visualize cooking oil in a pan frying chicken or cooking frenchfries, but I imagine the purification process begins in another stage unknown to me. Keep these interesting stories coming. They are informative.