Sunday, May 21, 2006

Arrival - Creston, Iowa

My mom and I arrived in Creston, Iowa at 10:15 pm Central time on Thursday. This was after 14 hours of driving for the day. Total driving time was 20 hours. For the most part, the trip was smooth with the exception of driving near Chicago. Spring time brings out the road construction crews and they were busy in the Chicago area. It took us almost an hour to get through the construction area.

The past few days we have spent helping my brother and his family prepare the house for my nephew's graduation party. For the past year, my brother's house has been undergoing an huge addition and it is not completely finished. There were lots of cleanup work to get the house ready for the guests. Graduation was today and most of all the guests have left for now. There are more coming though since my nephew is having his classmates over for a bon fire.

The weather has been great. The first day that we were here is was sunny and in the 80's. The past few days have been partly cloudy and highs in the 70's. They get lots of wind in Iowa, which makes it feel like in the 50's sometimes.

For those who are curious, we used approximately 15 gallons of gas to get to Iowa. I was pleased with the performance of the car and my wallet liked it too. We noticed a steady decrease in gas prices coming west. The average price here in Iowa is $2.65 per gallon. My mom and I say that it is sad that we think that they have cheap gas at $2.65 per gallon. The other interesting thing is that there is 10% ethanol in the gas.

Corn report: just planted and peeking through the soil. We are admiring how well groomed the fields are and the nice looking barns that we see.

We were able to attend church today and listen to my brother preach; did I forget to mention that he is a Pastor? This is the second time that I heard him preach and I must say he is an anointed preacher.

We will be going to Nebraska City on Wednesday for a shopping spree. This is good since I need to replace my whole wardobe due to all the weight that I've lost in the past few months. My brother shares with me that there is a huge outlet mall in Nebraska City. I'll be looking for those bargains.

My mom and I will begin our travel back to NY on Thursday. We are going to take our time coming back, stopping along the way to take in some of the sites.

That is all for now. Miss you all and I'll see you soon.

2 comments:

sam said...

You must be pretty close to us because we are figuring it will take just over twenty hours for our trip back to New York. The kids and I will be in church June 4th. See you then.

Darlene Sinclair said...

Sounds like some happy family times. May God bless your conversations and create fond memories for you all!