Friday, May 26, 2006

Arrival Kalamazoo, Michagen

Mom and I arrived late last night at our hotel in Kalamazoo, Michagen. It was late since we lost an hour once we drove across the Michagen State line.

Our stomachs were telling us too that they needed food. I can't eat just anywhere because of the nutrition plan I am following. Cracker Barrel seems to have food that I can eat and there usually is one every 30-40 miles of driving. Since we were hungry and it was late, we couldn't find one...this is usually the case. We see signs for Bob Evans and decided to give this a try. Off the exit we went and got to the restrauant 10 minutes past closing time. By this time, our stomachs were crying "starvation". We resorted to getting food out of the cooler. It wasn't exactly what we wanted, but it provided the nutrition needed to get us to the hotel.

We left Iowa at 8:00 am central time and found an outlet mall enroute after 3 hours of driving. I can't resist shopping since I need new cloths to replenish all the cloths that I've given away over the past few months. The outlet mall was great and I found some great stuff. After three hours of shopping, we were back on the road the again. Of course, it was way past our lunch time and needed to find a place to eat. A woman that we met in one of the stores suggested that we stop at a local family restrauant. We did and had an great meal.

We drove through some pretty severe rainstorms with heavy winds. It was like driving in the snow belt section south of Watertown; one minute it would be clear, then stormy, and then clear. We also saw lots of signs for places that had NY names: Dexter, Boonville, etc. etc.

My favorite part of the road trip yesterday was when we found a radio station that played music spanning 5 decades - 1950-1990's. Mom and I were singing tunes together. Some of the songs I didn't know because they were written before I was born. My mom seemed to know every song though and shared stories with me about them. This was a fun time.

Today we are off to the bird sanctuary and then drive to Cambridge, Ontario where we will be spending two nights before heading home.

Keep checking back for live reports of our road trip.

1 comment:

thisrequiresthought said...

I can hardly wait to see all your outlet bargains!

we're home, come on over.