Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Back to Work Surprises

Today was my first day back at work in 2 weeks. I worked at the transfer station all day.

Upon arriving, I noticed that the trailer had some modifications to it. The modifications were made since the garbage truck broke down last week and is in the shop until Thursday or Friday this week. Since garbage doesn't seem to care about holidays or the fact that our truck is broke, my guys modified our trailer so that we would be able to use it to continue collecting garbage & recyclables. It is not as efficient as our regular truck, but it gets the job done.

The guys were getting ready to begin their collection routes and I happened to notice that one guy hadn't shown up to work. I asked "what about (name of person), where is he?" My field supervisor looked at the transfer manager and said "you didn't tell Laura?" As it turns out, this particular employee fell off the back of one of the spring cleanup trucks and injuried his knee. He is ok, but he can't come back to work.

Other than the two surprises this morning, work was busy as usual.

I have a summer employee beginning work tomorrow and I'm looking forward to working her.

As you can tell, there is never a dull day in the world of garbage. I never know what will happen one day to the next; I guess this is what makes it so interesting.

No comments: