Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Hybrid Gas Milage Report - Iowa Trip

I can't resist bragging about my Hybrid Toyota Prius.

I drove a total of 2,757 miles for the Iowa trip and used a total of 62 gallons of gas for a total cost of $190.53. That averages out 44.5 miles per gallon (mpg) for the total trip.

For the trip home, which was 1,305 miles, I used a total of 20 gallons of gas. This averages out to 65 mpg. Not bad considering the majority of miles were on the freeways.

I also observed that the wind either has a positive or negative impact on the mpg attained. There was a very strong headwind most of the way to Iowa and very strong tailwind coming home. I got less mpg (48.5) going to Iowa than I did coming home.

I am also amazed at how much you can pack in a Prius when you put the back seats down. I had just as much room in the Prius as I did my Jeep; this was great since my mom and I took a lot of stuff with us, not to mention all the stuff that I bought on the way home.

How satisfied am I with the car? Answer: Very satisfied.

2 comments:

thisrequiresthought said...

can hardly wait to try out the hybrid company car to D.C.!!

Anonymous said...

Welcome home, Laura!!! -Ann